I can see my navel from here.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Turn and face the strain.

For a long time I've suspected that I'm celiac, but, having no health insurance, I haven't gotten checked for it. However, I have a number of the symptoms: multiple kinds of anemia, fatigue, unexplained weight losses and gains, occasional gastrointestinal disorders, itchy skin, and depression.

I'm tired of having so many problems, and, although I don't think that avoiding gluten will cure my depression (or anything else, fully), if it's a factor in what is considered by the medical community to be a life-threatening illness then I should reduce my risk factor.

So, as of this week, I'm going gluten-free. I'm giving myself a week to use up all of the gluten-containing products in my household and then I'll be done. It's not going to be as hard as it was before because I basically don't eat things like pasta or pizza anyway, but I cheat all the time. I've just got to get used to this lifestyle again. Plus, unchecked celiac can lead to minor lactose intolerance, and I cannot and will not eliminate cheese from my diet. At least the Rock Star and I will be able to eat all of the sushi we want, as long as I'm careful about soy sauce (which frequently contains wheat as a binding agent).

Did I mention I'm making pies for the Balagan raffle in November? I'm going to test my pie recipes on the Rock Star. Fortunately, there are good gluten alternatives when you're making pie crust that don't suck. I doubt that I'll get very far with certain types of gluten-free baking because that rice/soy/whatever blend that is most common in gluten-free bakeries gives me the stinkiest gas ever.

Speaking of Mr. Very Nice Rock Star, I happily spent most of the weekend with him as we'd been too busy to see each other last week. Part of that time we were working together on his costume for his band Evil Twin's Halloween show. They're playing at the Noc Noc as Kiss circa 1974, which makes my guitar god Space Ace Frehley. After sewing for about 6 hours all told (and since neither of us own a sewing machine my fingers are spotted with tiny pricks where I stabbed myself) we finished late last night. Actually, I had already fallen asleep by the time he came to bed after gluing a bunch of two-inch mirrors to the shiny black yoke I had sewn. It looks amazing; better than this guy's costume for damn sure. I'll try to get some pictures up because I'm really quite proud of us, although I never thought I'd be making a Kiss costume. Live and learn.

Speaking of "us", I find the Rock Star so dreadfully charming when he subtly talks about serious things. We were driving to pick up Evil Twin's lead singer on our way to some party or other that we were going to make an appearance at, when he remarked that he wanted to have a party.

"I want it to be a grown-up party, with wine and cheese and a bunch of people having good conversation. I don't have a lot of intellectual stimulation in my current circle of friends."

I said that I thought that a party was a lovely idea. His Central District condo is smallish but ultra-modern, and I find it cozy and charming. I offered to cook. I love his kitchen.

"I'd like that. I don't know a lot of grown-ups, so I thought you could invite some people. I thought we could have a party." He looked at me sideways while driving. "And I think you know what that means."

What, that you're going to sacrifice me to an elder god? I knew he didn't mean to sound so ominous. I blushed. "...yeah."

This morning I envisioned what it would be like if he proposed to me:

"I put my condo on the market."

"Oh, that's nice! Are you looking for a larger place? Where are you looking?"

"Well, I thought that you might have some input, because I'd like it if you lived there, too. And I think you know what that means."

...but that won't happen after he sacrifices me at a dinner party next month.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-changes
Oh, look out you rock n rollers
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-changes
Pretty soon now you're gonna get a little older
Time may change me
But I cant trace time
I said that time may change me
But I cant trace time