I can see my navel from here.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Chemo Therapy.


This morning at one of the intersections a couple blocks from work, it smelled like pancakes, maple syrup, and shrimp. I couldn't decide if it smelled delicious or sickening.

The thing about going back into therapy is that you have to get a lot more sick in order to get better. I can tell I'm getting healthier and I feel like I have more options for my mental and emotional well-being, but man, is this ever exhausting. I feel like my skin is thin and shredding constantly. My stomach is upset and I'm having a hard time eating and sleeping. I'm glad that I already stopped drinking. It would be much harder to get better if I hadn't gone dry.

On top of all that, Jinny is moving back to Portland. I think it's absolutely the right decision for her, but I'm sad. She's one of the women that mean the most in my life, and we've shared so much...but I guess if one of my best friends can live in another state, then it's okay for Jinny, too.

At least I can go down to Portland pretty easily, it's right there. I could use a vacation. In fact, Jinny's 30th birthday is in a couple of weeks and I'd love to get down there to celebrate and get a night away from my life.

I'm going to miss her so much.

The treatment can be physically exhausting for the patient. Current chemotherapeutic techniques have a range of side effects mainly affecting the fast-dividing cells of the body. Important common side-effects include (dependent on the agent):
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Diarrhea or constipation
  • Anemia
  • Malnutrition
  • Memory loss
  • Depression of the immune system hence (potentially lethal) infections and sepsis
  • Hemorrhage
  • Secondary neoplasms
  • Cardiotoxicity
  • Hepatotoxicity
  • Nephrotoxicity
  • Ototoxicity
  • Death