I can see my navel from here.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

It's my party.

Playin' my records, keep dancin' all night
But leave me alone for a while
'Till Johnny's dancin' with me
I've got no reason to smile

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to
Cry if I want to, cry if I want to
You would cry too if it happened to you

After I got out of my bath I tried to get dressed. I did the typical girl thing where one tries on a whole bunch of things in an effort to make sure that one looks gorgeous/skinny/appropriately professional/sexy/enviable. I put on my best red dress, the one I save for Big Dates or events, but decided that it was too sexy and not professional enough.

So I tried to take it off and the zipper broke.

I struggled with the zipper for half an hour. TDI called.

"Hey, my friend that I was bringing tonight canceled on me..."

"...oh, I'm sorry."

"...so I'm going to grab happy hour with some folks and try to convince someone to come with me."

"Uh. Okay. Great. Free wine and chocolate. Tell them that."

"Okay."

"I'm stuck in my dress."

"Really?"

"Uh. Yeah. I gotta go, I'm sorry. Zipper."

I hung up and, after a brief struggle, resigned myself to wearing the red dress. At least if I was going to be stuck in something, I was stuck in something fabulous. I accessorized and started walking to the theater in the light rain with sucking dread in my stomach.

When I got there, I tweaked the set-up of the open space of the lobby where the bar and cabaret will eventually be when we finish construction. Unfortunately, there's art there.

As Managing Director, I am responsible for curating what will eventually be a rotating art gallery in the lobby. I'm excited for when we actually have the means to do this, i.e. proper lighting, etc. However, someone (I don't know who, which is probably good) let a company member who shall remain nameless put their work up on the walls without my permission.

Something I left out of my earlier post about my breakdown is how I walked in, saw the art, stopped, decided that I literally couldn't look at it again without losing my shit, then continued walking. Enter Charles, the hug, and losing my shit anyway, as told in my previous entry.

It's all black paint or thick pen on white butcher paper, except for the sketchbooks (sketchbooks!) propped open. As Sylvia said, the pieces look like a fourteen-year-old goth created them. I've been blocking them out of my head as much as possible, since just looking at them made my breath shorter. Not because it's emotionally affecting art, but because having such humiliating art on our walls for our grand opening makes us look so terrible that I can't deal with how people will perceive us because of it. I had invited Krysztof to the gala but I'm glad he couldn't make it because I was so dreadfully embarrassed by the mind-numbingly bad art.

Anyway. I ignored the art and hung around the theater, talking to various cast and crew floating about. Eventually Kaitie pulled me aside and I told her about the previous day. I had planned on coming to opening night (the Benaroyas were to be there and Jake wanted a full house for Donna, plus it's my fucking theater too, even if I felt depressed and empty over it) but Sylvia kindly told everyone that I wasn't feeling well, thank you, and that I would try to be well enough to make it to the gala. Kaitie called me in the morning to ask how I was and I told her that I'd give her the whole deal later that night, if we could find a few minutes.

That afternoon at the theater, I told her what had happened and my good session with Jaime (she referred me; we have the same therapist). I think we might have been interrupted, because the house opened shortly afterwards.

Ava Fiasco was the first of my people there. I told her to get there early since we were oversold. I got a row of seats by the entrance so I could scurry out if I needed to but the others would still have good seats, and she quickly designated one for Mr. VNRS, one for herself, and one for Devon Rocketship (of Junk Mail fame). A few minutes later, the Intellectual arrived with his friend who I had met yet who didn't remember me. The friend had been drunk at the Rendezvous a couple of weeks back and we had a good-natured argument about Charles' theory of masculine versus feminine dramatic structure. I think I won, but I'm not sure, but it was fun.

We eventually sat everyone that was to be sat and the show started.

Halfway through the first act, TDI, who was sitting in a different wing of the theater from me got up in the middle of a scene, peeked into a backstage exit near his seat, got focused on the proper exit, and simply left, taking his friend with him, leaving me distracted and anxious for the rest of the first act.

The second act of Caryl Churchill's Cloud 9 is meant to be acted naturalistically, as opposed to the farce in the first act. Ryan was cast as Betty/Edward and, as I watched the second half of the play, I felt sad and alone in our concrete bunker theater. His dialect was wretched (Long Island Mick plus middle-class Brit just comes out as a speech impediment) and he was feminine and queer but all of his own mannerisms were there, as intimate to me as they had always been, and all I could think of was that I had lost my best friend and my lover and our baby and it was all blood and I wanted to run away and be sick and I wanted to hurt him very badly and I wanted to stop being so angry. I wanted to tell him that every day I wake up and wish that he was dead, or wish that I was dead, or wish that life was different somehow, and that I'm sorry and I had never missed anyone so much in my life but I hated him. I was aching and raw and I wished that I were anywhere else.

And it was over then, and I could skip the curtain call and go out and work and forget what I had just seen on stage in the bar rush.

Kaitie found me after things had calmed down. I let Shannon spell me at the bar and we took a break in the empty theater. She gave me half of her bouquet of white roses and told me that the party was amazing. I cried in her arms and told her that I missed her and that I loved her and that I wanted to die, and then we sang songs until I had to go back to work.

How could a night so frozen
be so scalding hot?
How can a morning this mild
feel so raw?

Without you
The tides change
The boys run
The oceans crash

The crowd roars
The days soar
The babies cry
Without you

The moon glows
The river flows
But I die
Without you