I can see my navel from here.

Monday, November 5, 2007

Why don't you marry a nice shiksa instead?

My last long-term relationship was with an Ashkenazi Jew who never told his Conservative parents about me, although we had been together for a year and had begun pre-marriage talks. Some of these took the form of how we would raise prospective children. I identify as Buddhist, although I don't speak of my faith much. Adam, however, culturally identified as Jewish but spiritually was an atheist. I was not interested in, and would still remain against, conversion, having spent enough of my adult life coming to terms with my personal spirituality.

Adam was, and is, an intelligent, well-spoken man of the sort that I'm typically attracted to. Somehow, I've gotten to date an unusually high percentage of Jews over the years. Maybe it's the tall, dark, and handsome thing (sorry, Rock Star! I also have a track record with red heads!). Seattle has a relatively small Jewish population, especially compared to other parts of the country where I've lived (interestingly, Adam was from St. Paul, MN). I also have plenty of friends (mostly in theater, of course) who are Jewish, and my father's foster family is Jewish. I was raised with some interesting holiday habits, to say the least!

So I'm continually fascinated by Jewish topics and issues and I have frequently been declared an "honorary Jew" by my friends. Well, I ran into this article on Slate today about the probable genetic predisposition of Ashkenazi Jews towards verbal intelligence.

Which makes me think of other racial and ethnic predispositions. I am primarily Celtic (Irish, Scottish, and Welsh, although I'm also some English, German, and African). So, what comes from there? I surmise a genetic predisposition towards alcoholism and a good ear for music, maybe a temper? A free sexuality among women or homosexuality among men? I would guess that we have some of the opposite problem that the Jews have; the trade-off for their wordiness seems to be poor visio-spatial awareness. I bet that the Scots and the Irish, natural warriors that we are, don't have that particular problem.

I have heard that we tend to have problems processing glutens after millenia of eating sheep fresh off the vine. On that note, I'm pleased to say that I am feeling much better, digestively speaking, since going gluten-free.

Does anyone know if or where I could find any more information?