I can see my navel from here.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Re: Changing names.

When I was six, I found out that women changed their names when they got married. I thought this was tremendously unfair. I asked my mom why boys got to keep their name and infect other people with it.

She didn't give me a historical or sociological answer but told me that, when she got married to my father, it was against the law to keep your maiden name. She said she never would have changed it if she had the option. When I asked her why she didn't change it back now, she sighed and said that it was too much paperwork and hassle.

I still think it's ridiculous. Why should I change my name? I like my name. Why don't you change yours? As for kids, the only person who can definitively prove that it's theirs is the one who drops it from their vagina, buddy. A name isn't going to change that.

Via ECB.

No comments: