I can see my navel from here.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Well played, 2010. Well played.

This year so far has been a doozy, and it's barely more than halfway over. Two of my neighbors at Cooper Artist Housing have passed away (one of them I was fairly close to) and a...colleague at Pike Place Market.

Today one I found out that a friend from the Market, Graham Callan, is in an induced coma so that he can recover from a staph infection. Okay, tough. That sucks, it made me tear up, and I'm keeping him in my heart and thoughts. Graham is close to my own age (early-mid thirties) has a big heart and is an incredible artist -- I'm lucky enough to have not just a few of his prints, but an original of his that his now-wife, Pixie, sold to me for a song. It's beautiful: he's a gifted, dark, and nuanced poet and visual artist.

My sister called about an hour or so ago to tell me that my mother's lung cancer, which she had beat and was in remission, has metastasized to her brain. There is nothing to do but make her comfortable. She's got about three to six months.

My relationship to my mother is troubled at best: there are times when I'm fairly sure that my parents, though they have a good marriage and are great partners to one another, really should never have had children. She and I haven't spoken since 2006, almost exactly four years ago. I just don't know what to feel or do.

My heart is pounding, hard.

2 comments:

mcrenshaw66 said...

I stumbled upon your blog and began reading, then I saw the date. I can't help wondering, what has happened, and if you are okay?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said...

Oh, thank you for your concern! Wow, I don't really post here much any more.

Short story: both my parents died within a year of each other: after my mom went, my dad just gave up.

I'm not sure that everything is always okay, but it's pretty good right now, creatively. I'm in the middle of making a feature film (watchcausality.com) that in a lot of ways was heavily influenced by the deaths of my parents, and I've been fortunately that my friends have always been there for me.

I find it lovely that a stranger would reach out to me like this. I truly appreciate it and I hope that everything in your life is as smooth a sail as it gets.