I can see my navel from here.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Talk to most men about male entitlement and they'll look at you like you're crazy.

I thought of a female friend of mine who once complained that sharing a room with a man took effort. "It's as though," she said, "his being there, his existence, demanded some of my attention." Talk to most men about male entitlement and they'll look at you like you're crazy. But it's real and it's more than just being able to walk around the city after dark without the fear of being raped. It's the way strangers look at you on the street, or the way they relate to you on the phone, or the way their bodies in space interact with your personal space. Think of the inconsiderate seven-foot-tall oaf who sometimes winds up in front of you at a concert and then imagine that man appearing everywhere in your life, stepping on your toes and stumbling back into you and all the while not so much as acknowledging your existence. Many MTFs experience these losses of privilege—the abstract privilege that's concomitant with masculinity—as a series of surprising, disheartening blows. Their gender transformation is going to take a bit longer than they thought, it turns out.

This week's The Stranger.

2 comments:

Laurie Diane Wiegler said...

Hi, Googled "male entitlement" and this came up so I read it. I am only curious about heterosexual male entitlement (not that it ends there) so thanks for the validation. Well said. It's important for men to realize that we women don't hate them by bringing this up. Merely, in a country where we've never had a female president, where women still do most of the grunt work, are judged on our looks, thrown out as old when we reach 40ish, and for some bizarre reason must prove we're smart if we're also beautiful...it's too much on a bad day.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said...

"Too much on a bad day" is well-put, Laurie. I can pretty much deal with feeling like a second-class citizen (and I have a lot of privilege myself) but if I'm poorly-rested or sick or simply thin-skinned then I know I can come off like a classic angry feminist. Oh, well, I am both of those things!

This blog is an older one of mine, it's interesting to see when I get hits on it. :)